Welcome!

The purpose of this blog is to offer educational technology tips and suggestions by sharing links to tech resources as well as samples of my own work with middle school students.


Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Using Surveys for Pre-Assessment

Recently, I began using surveys to pre-assess my 6th grade students.  The students come from three different elementary schools and I have noticed that their computer experiences vary depending on the school and the teacher they had. By using SurveyMonkey, I was able to determine which software programs my students were familiar with, what tools they knew within each program, their keyboarding skills, and the type of websites and search engines they utilized in school. Using the results of my survey, I can spend more time teaching new skills rather than re-teaching something my students are already familiar with.
It's very easy to create a survey. Question types include multiple choice, text boxes, rating scales, drop-down menus and more. There are many different backgrounds to choose from, too. When your survey is completed, you can stop collecting responses, analyze the results, and use this in your classroom to enhance your instruction.

No comments: