Welcome!

The purpose of this blog is to offer educational technology tips and suggestions by sharing links to tech resources as well as samples of my own work with middle school students.


Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Screencasting

What is screencasting? Well….it’s basically a way to capture the screen activity on a computer to create a movie that can be shown to an audience later. You can use screencasting to demonstrate the use of a software program, Internet research, Google tools, or anything else that you use on a computer. This is a very powerful way to communicate knowledge and ideas.

I began using screencasting this summer in order to provide professional development opportunities online for the staff in my district. Teachers in my district are required to create and maintain staff web pages using SchoolCenter. We offer classes on how to set up a home page, contact page, document manager, blogs, etc. I noticed that after each class, teachers still had questions or forgot some of the basic features. Now, the staff can watch a short video online and usually their questions are answered! Sure saves me a lot of time.

There are many different screencasting software out there, but my preference is Jing. It is free and very easy to use. I then upload my videos to Screencast. This site provides free hosting of screencasts, and then you can link to each screencast from your own site.

3 comments:

dkapuler said...

Pam, I'm a huge user of video casting Apps and Jing is one of my favorites. Perhaps, this will be another nice resource for your readers:

My top 10 - http://cyber-kap.blogspot.com/2009/02/screen-casting.html
(Screen Jelly should be on here too)

Here is my example of a screen cast...
http://cyber-kap.blogspot.com/2009/04/technology-tidbits-thoughts-of-cyber.html

Finally, if I had to choose 1 app for creating screen casts, I would go w/ Screen Flow, it's a bit pricey but has the most robust options and is very user friendly.

Axl Lee said...

Well, from my point of view as a freelance of eLearning education, what I can afford and require is an economical screencast program with video editing features. My job, or described as hobby is to create some desktop tutorials and web demos, of course with my narration. None of freeware offer editing function so I have to turn my face to shareware, those cheap but powerful shareware.

Now I'm using DemoCreator, maybe you've never heard of it, so do I three months ago.It offers lots of practical editing features which helps me to handle my video at ease. Through it can't be compared with those first class commerial ware, it just meet my needs.

Here is how it perform
http://www.sameshow.com/demo-creator.html

Sorry for omitting sreencast tools for Mac because I'm Windows user.

Stacy Nockowitz said...

Love your blog! It focuses in on just the right info for the classroom. Now you've been awarded a Kreativ Blogger award! Go to the link below, check it out, and spread the blogging joy!

http://somenovelideas.typepad.com/some-novel-ideas/2009/11/passing-on-the-blogging-joy.html.html